Sunday, July 22, 2007

He came, He saw, He sat on the bench.


So the day finally came. July 21, 2007, the day American sports will be changed forever. Of, course, as a sports writer, I felt it was my duty to watch the game live on ESPN. So as soon as I tuned in, I was looking for our man Becks, and just wondering how long until he scores with a magical kick that bends around defenders. All I had to do was look to the "BeckhamCam," and there he was. Sitting on the bench. Thats right, not only did he not start, but he didn't even come in until the 78th minute. I thought this guy was supposed to be the best in the world,
and he doesn't even start on an MLS team?

Well, we all still watched him, there on the bench, playing with his shoes, talking to his teammates, there are other people on his team if you didn't know. Oh, and at the 65th minute when he got up to stretch and jog around, he got a standing ovation from the fans at the Home Depot Center. He ended up touching the ball about 3 times, and he got totally owned when a Chelsea player slide tackled the shit out of him.

Then, deep into injury time, the Galaxy, you know, the team he's on, got a corner kick. This would be an excellent last chance scoring opportunity, and of course the gave the ball to David. This is what the country has been waiting for, seeing that famous bend. He kicked it....and it got blocked. The Galaxy lost 1-0, and soccer has not changed a bit. Afterwards, all I could do was curse ESPN, the Galaxy, and David Beckham, for not entertaining me.

You say goodbye, I say WTF.

No comments: