Monday, March 17, 2008

MLB Television Scouting Reports

Because my spring break is so awesome, I'm sitting on my couch at 9:30 AM watching the replay of the Yankees exhibition game from last night. YES puts up a "Scouting Report" graphic of the starting pitcher in the first inning of every game, to let the viewing public know a little about how the YES network imagines the starter will pitch after looking and video. With YES (and most other networks that do this), this means just talking about things the pitcher has done in the past, having little to do with his pitch selection or velocity. This isn't me as an irate sports blogger trying to make a point about how stupid the mainstream media is, but rather just as something I found funny, and shouldn't be interpreted as an attack. Today's pitcher: C.C. Sabbathia.
-"Cy" Bathia - C.C. won the Cy Young award in 2007. If any scout gave this in and said, "Hey, boss, I figured out how to stop Sabbathia! He won the Cy Young last year!" he would be fired.

-No Limits -He's a workhorse who threw 241 innings last year. This being a Spring Training game, the idea of Sabathia being a workhorse doesn't really come into play, as he's not going to pitch more than five innings or so.

-Free to Go - Sabathia will be a free agent after this season. Again, I don't see how this counts as scouting.

So I've learned from the fine people at YES things Sabathia did in the past, and what he might do in the future, but nothing that will tell me what kinds of pitches he might be expected to throw today. I know this stuff is for the casual fan, but getting a little more in depth isn't going to hurt anyway.

Anyway, here's a picture of Lo Pan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.