Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How Brett Favre Will be Described to Young Fans in 2020 by Packer Fans


Dad: Favre, I want you to take a seat over by the television and listen to me spin a yarn about the greatest man every to walk this Earth.

Son: I know, Dad, Brett Favre. You named me after him, you ignorant hick.

Dad: Haha, sounds good son. Anyway, Brett Favre played from 1967-2008, winning every Super Bowl and every Super Bowl MVP.

Son: Dad, that's just not true. What about in 2002, when a Buccaneers defense led by Warren Sapp beat the Raiders? And in 1990, when the Giants won? The only time Favre won one was 1997.

Dad: ...So, anyway, let me tell you about a certain game that happened in 2003, right when Brett was entering his prime. The previous night, Brett's entire family had been murdered in cold blood by a reincarnated Hitler, Himmler, and Goebels, who had a problem with him for hiding Jews during the second World War. Do you think Brett sat out that game, in mourning? Hell no! He came out and threw for twelve touchdowns and 1,2000 yards passing. And at halftime, he killed those Nazis with his bear hands.

Son: I think you might be exaggerating a bit, Dad. Isn't it true that Favre often made poor choices in the pocket, resulting in gamebreaking interceptions? Why, I remember watching a Jets-Packers game from 2006 on ESPN Classic and he threw this awful pass, which was --

Dad: He's the greatest of all time! He's got three MVP awards! Three!

Son: But Dad, according to an old ESPN article, Favre has never even had one of the top fifty seasons for quarterbacks in history.

Dad: You just don't get it! He was gritty! He played for the love of the game!

Son: So, what, Curtis Martin didn't play for the love of the game? Kevin Mawae didn't play for the love of the game? It seems like the whole "plays like a child/for the love of the game" angle gets overplayed by sportswriters and fans who need a hero.

Dad: He was addicted to vicodin! He had problems with alcohol! I CAN RELATE TO HIM AS A HUMAN BEING!

Son: I understand that, Dad, but don't you think your ability to identify with him as a person has forced you to put him up on an unreachable pedestal? I think Favre's great, I just don't get the hero worship.

Dad: Fuck you, son.

Note: I am NOT talking about my Dad.

No comments: