Sunday, February 24, 2008

Huh?


The Oscars are tonight (come on, The Number 23!), and ESPN wants to get in on some of that sweet movie action. In order to stay "hip" and "with it," they've come up with this beautiful Sports Nation question: Who was the best supporting player in 2007? What does even really mean? Hell if I know, but let's take a look at the nominees:

Manu Ginobili - Basketball is really the only sport where this might make sense at a skill position, so I guess Manu should win by default.

Jacob Hester (LSU) - Wikipedia expands my limited knowledge of college football by telling me Hester rushed for over 1100 yards and 12 touchdowns. I'd say those are pretty good numbers, in support of... his team? I mean, he did support his team this year. But so did every other athlete who played above average in any game in 2007. He was part of a five man rotation, so maybe best "part time" player might be more appropriate, but supporting player? I don't know.

Phil "Tits" Mickelson - This is the one that really shoves my face in shit. Golf is not a team sport. A player plays by himself, for himself. Phil isn't supporting anyone except himself and his Milky Way habit. I think what the geniuses at ESPN are getting at is that he supports Tiger Woods. But he's not supporting Tiger, he's rivaling him. It would make a lot more sense if it was "Who was the second best player on the PGA tour in 2007?"

Wes Welker - I'll avoid playing the easy race card on the white wide receiver, ala Stephen A. Smith and the wondrous Jemele Hill on everything involving a black athlete. I understand Randy Moss broke the single season touchdown record, but it's not like Welker was a was only decent, either, tying with Houshmandzadeh for the league led in receptions.

Kevin Youkilis - Unless you're talking about some amazing pinch hitter coming off the bench, the term "supporting player" really doesn't translate well to baseball. If I may channel Ken Tremendous for a minute, I think Youkilis is seen as a supporting player because he's gritty! He hustles! He looks like a lumberjack! That's the kind of gritty hustle McRunoutagroundballster you want supporting your team!

If I had my pick, I'd go with Popeye Jones.

No comments: